Do not teach your daughters to be ‘pretty.’
Do not entomb her in a pretty pink tower
and insist that only the degree of her physical appeal
may set her free.
Teach her to fight her way out,
to consume books and spit knowledge
to lesser boys who insist she is just beautiful
and nothing more.
Teach her to love her body
not to manipulate and put a price tag on herself
as a defined worth
she shall be immeasurable
she shall be more than this.
Do not let her break herself down
when the boy in kindergarden hits her
because he likes her.
What are you really teaching her?
Pain and love are not synonymous
neither are pretty and perfection.
Teach her to be kind
to be harsh
to be demure
to be wild
to be sensitive
to be thick-skinned
But good god,
Do not teach your daughters to be ‘pretty.’— Michelle K., Do Not Teach Your Daughters to Be ‘Pretty.’ (via michellekpoems)
- me: okay well i'm going to order the tickets i want, and if you want to go, fine, and if you don't, i'll just bring a pretty little princess doll and write your name on it to take your spot
- him: whatever. what inning do you think you make it to until you storm off? national anthem? first pitch?
- me: i won't storm off if you just lay off me and enjoy the god damn game
- him: shut. shut. shut your mouth. pamd.
- me: well, they've been bought. i'll be sure to take half a xanax so i'll be calm when you begin complaining .2 seconds into the game
- him: i'll be sure to inject 10lbs of heroin beforehand so i dont have to deal with your shit
I’ve got it. And now baseball is starting up. Now I remember why I always want a boyfriend this time of year- I just want someone to go to some god damn Yankees games with me whenever the fuck I want. Yeah friends will go sometimes, but they have their own lives.
I’m just a girl, looking for a boy, who will drink beers with me in Section 203 when the Sox are in town.
‘And why do you?’
‘The sky and the sand and the sea and Corr.’ — Maggie Stiefvater; The Scorpio Races (via hemingwayheroine)